Read, write, and be free :)

I am a writer. A frustrated one. I know, alot of people are. I'm just one of the millions out there who aspires to be a legitimate one. One who have books published and translated all over the world. One who had books lined up to be bestsellers in every release. One who had books turned into blockbuster movies. One who inspires others to write as well. One who can change other people's lives through their words. Alas, if only I could organize my thoughts turn them into beautiful poems or make them an intricate work of art, maybe I could be like my favorite authors. Brilliant and inspiring.

---I know, they too, didn't have it easy. They didn't conjure the story like magic. They too had what inspired them. They researched, they too suffered from writer's block. They too, like me, have to start from scratch.

And to quote one of my favorite authors :

"You have to resign yourself to the fact that you waste a lot of trees before you write anything you really like, and that's just the way it is. It's like learning an instrument, you've got to be prepared for hitting wrong notes occasionally, or quite a lot, cause I wrote an awful lot before I wrote anything I was really happy with. And read a lot. Reading really helps. Read anything you can get your hands on."
—J.K. Rowling


...and thus that's maybe why I can't give up reading, because I can't give up writing either. I've been ecstatic when I became a part of our school publication back in my highschool days. I would have jumped up and down, hugged every person I came across the whole school when they told me I made it as one of the writers,but restraining myself, I contented myself to bragging the news at home. That time, I felt like I accomplished something already, that even though I had expected to flunk the test I had passed it with flying colors. I almost told my classmate that "HUH! Beat that! I made it...You didn't...you're even at the top of the class.." I was really elated. It really made my week. And having the press i.d hung around my neck felt like I'm a royalty, not the pain in the neck kind of royalty,what I mean is I  felt privileged. That people started to notice me. I'm not an ordinary student anymore. I have a mean to have my voice heard through my writings. People sought my opinions, my approval for their essays, writing compositions. I became my class' proofreader. I know, I know, I'm bragging. I'm sorry about that, it's just that when you spent your whole grade school years as a quiet and shy girl,it certainly is an exhilarating experience. You wouldn't forget it easily. And having to see your name printed in your school newspaper had always been enough to keep you in a good mood for the whole school week.

"Read, read, read. Read everything -- trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it.
Then write. If it's good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out of the window."
—William Faulkner



"When asked, "How do you write?" I invariably answer, "One word at a time," and the answer is invariably dismissed. But that is all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."
-Stephen King



---keep writing folks, as I will :)

Comments

  1. funny, candid, and quite inspiring zhee jhei (i'm assuming that's not your real name, but what else to call you?).
    you are young - so you have the rest of your life, really, to perfect your craft. you've had a good start, just keep on writing and keep wanting to write (which may sometimes be hard). just keep on honing the talent you already possess.
    and btw, one of the goals in your list ("One who inspires others to write as well.") is already true :)
    thanks for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe real name's Zara Jane...It's quite a mouthful so I opted for zhee jhei. And hey thanks a lot for the comments. :) I'll read this every time when I have a hard time writing, will surely boost my confidence in writing again :) Thanks again ^^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

forgotten tissue paper rants

Kokology ^^